Friday, March 14, 2014

SOG stamp set Thanks for the Latte Coaster!

Just one of the many reasons why I love my Copic markers. You can color on almost anything! :)

One of the projects I worked on this week in the studio is a coaster using Some Odd Girls latest release clear stamp set "Hipster Mae".  Super cute character! Love her movement and outfit, so much fun! How fitting is it for a coaster?  For this project you are going to need a tumbler tile.  Tiles cannot have a glaze, it must be porous.  You can pick them up in your hardware stores in a small box of maybe 10  (don't quote me LOL), although when I went to get some .. all the crafters bought them and they can't keep them long enough on the shelves so they have to special order them LOL.  They are in demand.  Placed my order ;), I'm covered! :)  Other items you need are of course your Copics.  Light shades do not work, so try to pick medium to darker color and shade with deeper colors. You will notice that you will be jumping color families a lot to get the shading right.  Test your colors on the back of your tile.  
The ink I used to stamp my image is Brilliance ink and then I heat set it.  Do not use Memento or Ranger ink.  Memento will feather and soften to the point you can't make sense of your image.  Ranger ink will activate once your Copics touch it.   I have heard some use Stayz On but you have to take care as the ink will also get activated like the Ranger.
some odd girl, Hipster Mae, coaster, copic, copic coloring, tile, coffee, latte, stamp, clear stamp. SOG
Stamp Hipster Mae with Brilliance Ink
some odd girl, Hipster Mae, coaster, copic, copic coloring, tile, coffee, latte, stamp, clear stamp. SOG
Don't forget to heat set.
I used Brillance ink to stamp the latte stain.
some odd girl, Hipster Mae, coaster, copic, copic coloring, tile, coffee, latte, stamp, clear stamp. SOG
Add your sentiment with Brilliance ink and play with colors
 I  also used the Brilliance brown ink for the edges to give it a finished look.
Inked the edges with Brilliance Brown

Make sure to heat set your inks before you begin to color.  I also waited for the tile to cool down. :)
some odd girl, Hipster Mae, coaster, copic, copic coloring, tile, coffee, latte, stamp, clear stamp. SOG
Color your image with Copics
After you are finished coloring, if you see any shiny areas on your image and don't like the shine,  just use a cotton swab and gently dab it.  This will remove the glaze look but not fade your marker.  The marker is permanent.
Nearly finished, just one more step. :) 
On the bottom of my tile I place a cork paper adhesive.  The cork paper makes a huge difference.  No scratches on the tables. :)
some odd girl, Hipster Mae, coaster, copic, copic coloring, tile, coffee, latte, stamp, clear stamp. SOG
Used Cork paper adhesive for the back of tile

Once you have finished coloring your tile you can spray a fixative on it to seal it.  I will have to wait for warmer weather to take it outside and spray it, not fun when you have allergies. :)

Hugs
Paola :)

3 comments: